MinimalismVille is the first 50-hour mapping challenge I have run. It will not be the last!
It contains 21 entries and a bonus map.
The focus of this theme was to use a little as possible. The mapper decided what was “little”.
- Title: MinimalismVille
- Filename: hl2-ep2-sp-thc17-c2-minimalismville
- Size : 142MB
- Author: ESToomere, Mark A.K.A. Strontvlieg, November, Crowbar, Tiop, ethosaur, Event Horizon, HighFire, ThatsRidonkulous, Rob Martens, DarenDark, Dirk Destiny, 1upD, Sockman, Mista Heita, Builderpro, Niker107, BlueASIS, TurretCube, Ian Spadin AKA Idolon, Frag, Klems
- Date Released: 05 May 2017
If you require more help, please visit the Technical Help page.
- Copy the hl2-ep2-sp-50hmc-minimalismville folder into your …\Steam\SteamApps\Sourcemods\ folder.
- Start or restart Steam
- RTSL.50HMC.MinimalismVille should now be listed in your “Library” tab.
One day an idea suddenly appeared in my head (like one of those light bulbs from the cartoons).
I decided to announce it and see what happens. I had no idea if it was going to be successful or a complete failure.
21 entries suggests I should run it again and I will.
Entrants had 50 hours to build a map.
Often, mappers get too ambitious and either never release the map or change it so much that it’s not as good as they had hoped.
With the 50-Hour deadline, I hoped that mappers would simply select a simple idea and build it.
It seems to have worked.
After the first entrant-only release, it became clear that there was an issue with brightness in some maps played after other maps.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank DarenDark for creating a guide to fix the issue and Rob Martens for actually fixing all the maps.
Without either of them the release would have been delayed by weeks.
Detail is wonderful. When it is appropriate. Empty space, sometimes called “negative space”, is as important as the content. Change the space between notes of a song and you change the whole feel.
As a level designer, it’s important to be able to know how much or how little to use of something.
We believe that this challenge will allow you to make careful and interesting use of the games assets. It will focus your attention on what is truly important when creating interactive levels.
Therefore, we would like you to create a map that uses the concept of “minimalism”. This could mean a limited number of enemies (maybe even one), weapons, one piece of ammo, one room, one area, a limited number of brushes, textures or models. Dev textures are allowed. Visuals are NOT the focus of this challenge, although great looking maps always give the right impression.
What is it that is essential for your map? Remove anything that isn’t necessary.
One word of warning: Simply creating an area with infinitely respawning enemies is NOT what we are looking for. That is not minimalism.
The winning map will be the one that is fun to play and presents its idea in a creative way.
Listed as they are displayed in the mod itself, which were randomized after the deadline.
Refinery by ESToomere
Downsized Escape by Mark A.K.A. Strontvlieg
Abstraction by November
Antguard by Crowbar
Shut Up by Tiop
The Test by ethosaur
Rooms by Event Horizon
Destroy The Generator by HighFire
Antichamber by ThatsRidonkulous
Defense in Depth by Rob Martens
Nova Perspektive by DarenDark
Gauntlet by Dirk Destiny
Contrast by 1upD
Warp by Sockman
The Mal Omals KY by Mista Heita
Grey Assault by Builderpro
Color Cues by Niker107
Loss by BlueASIS
Cuboid by TurretCube
Cluster by Ian Spadin AKA Idolon
FRAGGED by Frag
BONUS: Reporter by Klems
If you decide to use the Per-Map Opinion Images, please either watch the video below or use the VilleReviewTemplate.txt file. Thank you.
We are pleased to announce that Abstraction by November & Nova Perspektive by DarenDark both won MinimalismVille – congrats to them
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is the prize but both winners will be awarded a prize of equal value.
Phillip and DolmoTheDouglas are the judges for this challenge.
Which are your favourite top 5 maps from MinimalismVille?
- BONUS: Reporter by Klems (8%, 21 Votes)
- FRAGGED by Frag (2%, 4 Votes)
- Cluster by Ian Spadin AKA Idolon (2%, 6 Votes)
- Cuboid by TurretCube (2%, 6 Votes)
- Loss by BlueASIS (4%, 10 Votes)
- Color Cues by Niker107 (14%, 34 Votes)
- Grey Assault by Builderpro (2%, 5 Votes)
- The Mal-Omal's KY by Mista Heita (6%, 16 Votes)
- Warp by Sockman (6%, 14 Votes)
- Contrast by 1upD (2%, 5 Votes)
- Gauntlet by Dirk Destiny (1%, 3 Votes)
- Nova Perspektive by DarenDark (10%, 24 Votes)
- Defense in Depth by Rob Martens (2%, 4 Votes)
- Antichamber by ThatsRidonkulous (13%, 32 Votes)
- Destroy The Generator by HighFire (1%, 2 Votes)
- Rooms by Event Horizon (3%, 7 Votes)
- The Test by ethosaur (11%, 28 Votes)
- Shut Up by Tiop (2%, 5 Votes)
- Antguard by Crowbar (3%, 8 Votes)
- Abstraction by November (4%, 9 Votes)
- Downsized Escape by Mark A.K.A. Strontvlieg (2%, 4 Votes)
- Refinery by ESToomere (2%, 4 Votes)
Total Voters: 64
Brane Scan by Kelly Bailey from Half-Life 2
V1 – Entrants only version.
v2 – Updated entrants only version
v3 – This version. First public release. No custom gridview images.
The RunThinkShootLive.Com introduction video was made by Jeff Muñoz (ThatoneJeff)” and he also significantly helped with logo design – thanks Jeff, you ROCK!
Rob Martens for converting the RTSL introduction video and my intro video into .bik format.
This release contains no custom gridview images. Futures versions may.
Maximum two maps per mapper per competition.
The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com & RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the Ville Mod.
Maps must not appear before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
The map MUST have a proper name.
The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_ABC.bsp (ABC is replaced with the code for the mapping challenge)
All entries must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline.
This challenge was partly sponsored by Nodecraft – High Performance Game Servers.
WARNING: The screenshots contain spoilers.
9Last 7 days
30Last 30 days
If you believe this release is missing important tags, please suggest them in a comment?