Video games always feature various styles of gameplay. In this challenge we asked mappers to create a map that flowed through 3 phases. See the Theme Details section below for full details.
The resulting maps range from average to fantastic and the different interpretations of each phase is fascinating.
Get ready to play through 15 new maps!
- Title: PhaseVille
- Filename: sdk-2013-sp-tlc18-c4-phaseville-1.2.7z
- Size : 202MB
- Author: Jason Gimba AKA Maki, Mark AKA Strontvlieg, RockyB, AnonymoScoot, krassell, Jean Knapp AKA XBLAH, 1upD, Reid Laxdal AKA Mr. Sakamoto, Fwog Bootew, Sage J. Fox, matt71490 AKA Event Horizon, AKAJacob, Richard Greenslade AKA Greenman, Ilya Busha aka Ildarion
- Date Released: 13 October 2018
Please read these carefully BEFORE playing.
- The bonus entry features the Stasis Crystal – a new gameplay feature introduced earlier this year. If you haven’t played a mod with this in, please play the Multiverse learning Center map FIRST.
- The Warlock Den requires players to use the secondary attack to change the bugbait mode.
- Facility 34 features a button to stop the one-bladed fan. Don’t be a fool like me and miss it!
- The bonus map, Hositalisation, was submitted only 9 hours after the deadline.
THIS VERSION CURRENTLY CAN NOT BE USED WITH GAUGE. SORRY
- Make sure you have the “Upcoming” branch of the Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer installed in Steam and run at least once. (Properties – Betas – select “upcoming” from the dropdown list).
- Copy the sdk-2013-sp-tlc18-c4-phaseville” folder into your “SourceMods” folder.
- Restart or start Steam.
- RTSL.TLC18.C4.PhaseVille should now be listed in your “Library” tab.
If you decide to use the Per-Map Opinion Images, please either watch the video below or use the file below:
The tagline of Half-Life is “Run. Think. Shoot. Live.” You should know that but not everybody does. That’s where the name of this website comes from.
One of my favourite Villes was RunThinkShootLiveVille. It allowed mappers a chance to create small sections, each with a clear objective; both for the mapper and the player. Each phase was clear, precise and compelling.
For this challenge, we would like you to choose one verb from each phase and blend them into a seamless whole map:
Phase 1: Find / Escape / Ride
Phase 2: Solve / Fight / Evade
Phase 3: Drive / Descend / Chase
Phase 4: Live / Die / Fate Unknown
We are looking for natural flow between each phase. You CAN NOT change the order of the phases.
You are allowed to replace ONE of the verbs in the first 3 phases with one of your own choosing. That’s one replacement total allowed, and it’s optional – so if you like the list you can stick to those choices.
Each phase CAN (optional!) be a different size than the others. Imagine your main phase is Descend. You can have two, smaller, but still clearly defined, earlier sections that are really just preludes to the main one. Or you can have each phase the same importance as each other.
Let me explain the final phase. This can be as short as you like. If the player lives, then make that explicitly clear. Have them walk off into the sunset or something similar.
If you choose to let the player die, try to make it fit the context. Make it mean something.
If their fate is unknown, choose that because you have a good reason, not because you couldn’t decide what to do.
If you haven’t already, then we recommend playing RunThinkShootLiveVille to see how previous entrants approached it, but don’t be limited by their work or copy it!
Name your map something OTHER than the 4 phases. For example, FindSolveDriveLive is NOT acceptable. It’s actually a good name but there is the possibility that another entrant will have the same name. Create a simple name that sounds interesting and relates to the content of your map.
There is one new rule this time [about affecting other maps], so please, please please, read all the rules carefully.
This time there’s a twist: our latest research has developed a new function for the Gravity Gun. By finding and attaching a rare Stasis Crystal, the now-enhanced Gravity Gun has the added ability to freeze an object in space. Don’t worry, it’s not permanent – but the object will remain in stasis indefinitely until you use the Gravity Gun to move it again.
Use of the Stasis Crystal is optional in this challenge.
Mappers can give players the classic Gravity Gun or the Super Gravity Gun – and both versions may be enhanced with the Stasis Crystal.
We envision the Stasis Crystal having many uses, from blocking, reaching areas, puzzle-solving, attacking, defending and probably many others.
Full details can be found on the challenge announcement page.
The deadline for submission was 11pm GMT Monday 24th September 2018
Listed as they are displayed in the mod itself:
Multiverse Learning Center by Dalannar (Tutorial map, not part of the challenge)
Found by Fwog Bootew
Relic 17 by RockyB
Mutual Place by Tabajara77
Hidden Variables by 1upD
Hunted by Richard Greenslade AKA Greenman
Break In by Sage J. Fox
Warlock Den by krassell
Pit-Stop by AKAJacob
Last Train From Ravenholm by Reid Laxdal AKA Mr. Sakamoto
Facility 34 by Mark AKA Strontvlieg
Prospekt Blues by Jason Gimba AKA Maki
Off-World Relocation by Jean Knapp AKA XBLAH
Attack of The Killer Combine by matt71490 AKA Event Horizon
Singularity by AnonymoScoot
Bonus: Hospitalisation by Ilya Busha aka Ildarion
The order of the maps was generated via random.org
Remember, the judges scoring is based on the final map submitted BEFORE the deadline. The actual released versions of maps and therefore the ones you played, may differ significantly from those initially submitted.
Here are the top three places.
- Winner: Mutual Place by Tabajara77: 87 Points
- Second: Prospekt Blues by Maki: 86 Points
- Third: Off-World Relocation by Jean Knapp AKA XBLAH: 78 Points
Note: Abraham was unable to judge and score this challenge due to personal circumstances. Dolmo has kindly stepped in as a replacement judge.
Full details of all the points can be found on The Lambda Cup 2018 Public Points Spreadsheet.
Phillip, Don, Dan, Crowbar and Dolmo are the judges for this challenge.
Time for you to share your thoughts! Vote for your top 3 PhaseVille maps. Poll closes 30th November 2018.
Which are are 3 favourite maps from PhaseVille?
- Bonus: Hospitalisation by Ilya Busha aka Ildarion (13%, 25 Votes)
- Singularity by AnonymoScoot (1%, 1 Votes)
- Attack of The Killer Combine by matt71490 AKA Event Horizon (2%, 4 Votes)
- Off-World Relocation by Jean Knapp AKA XBLAH (21%, 42 Votes)
- Prospekt Blues by Jason Gimba AKA Maki (14%, 28 Votes)
- Facility 34 by Mark AKA Strontvlieg (5%, 9 Votes)
- Last Train From Ravenholm by Reid Laxdal AKA Mr. Sakamoto (1%, 2 Votes)
- Pit-Stop by AKAJacob (3%, 5 Votes)
- Warlock Den by krassell (11%, 21 Votes)
- Break In by Sage J. Fox (3%, 6 Votes)
- Hunted by Richard Greenslade AKA Greenman (1%, 2 Votes)
- Hidden Variables by 1upD (4%, 8 Votes)
- Mutual Place by Tabajara77 (16%, 31 Votes)
- Relic 17 by RockyB (5%, 10 Votes)
- Found by Fwog Bootew (2%, 4 Votes)
Total Voters: 94
The Lambda Cup 2018 consists of five mapping challenges, each with a different theme.
Entrants will receive points for each challenge they enter.
At the end of the event, the best 3 points totals from the challenges they entered will be added together for each entrant.
These totals will decide who wins the Grand Prizes.
This means that entrants do NOT have to enter each and every contest to win the grand prize but they will need to have entered at least 3 challenges to have a chance of winning the grand prizes.
For more details visit the Lambda Cup homepage.
0.9 – Developers’ and Judges’ Version. First versions of maps. Version used to judge the entries.
1.0 – Public release.
1.1 – Fixes to maps Attack of the Killer Combine and Facility 34
1.2 – This release. Fixes to maps Hunted and Last Train from Ravenholm. No known issues.
Niker107 created the Mertz Module models.
Dalannar created the Multiverse Learning Center map and Salamancer created various custom textures for it.
Thanks to all of you for working on such short notice!
Caleb West AKA CW3D: https://soundcloud.com/user-747330145 created the extended remix of Brane Scan originally by Kelly Bailey from Half-Life 2
The RunThinkShootLive.Com introduction video was made by Jeff Muñoz (ThatoneJeff)” and he also significantly helped with logo design – thanks Jeff, you ROCK!
There are 3 custom gridview image included in this release.
To use it, switch your Steam Library view to Grid View. Right click on RTSL.THC2018.C4.PhaseVille and chose “Set Custom Image”. Click “browse” when a small windows appears and navigate to your SourceMods folder and the “sdk-2013-sp-tlc18-c4-phaseville/steam-gridview-images/” folder and select the image of your choice.
You can of course, create your own image and use that.
PLEASE READ THEM SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.
- Download the Submission Template and use that to submit your entry. The only exception is if you intend to submit only a map with no custom content – in which case you can just send the map (bsp), the graph file (ain), your mapname_readme.txt, and optionally the map source (vmf).
- End your map with a point_clientcommand firing this exact command: disconnect; startupmenu
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the RTSL.THC2018.C4.PhaseVille Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2 and Lost Coast are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry, preferably a link to a public page that shows permission has been granted, in addition, custom assets AND MUST BE ABLE TO BE USED IN MONETISED VIDEOS.
- All files submitted MUST be in lowercase and any custom assets must have unique names, both folder AND files.
- Entrants are requested to send their VMF files in with their entry. A section in the ReadMe.txt file will make it clear that they are for educational purposes ONLY and MUST NOT be used as the base for other levels without prior permission of the respective author.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: entryname_tlc18_c4.bsp
- Submit a mapname_readme.txt with your entry. Even if it is just your name and your entry, although you should try to create a proper one.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email without 24 hours of sending an entry, contact Phillip IMMEDIATELY.
In addition, any custom content must be able to be used in monetised playthrough videos posted on the internet.
10Last 7 days
47Last 30 days
If you believe this release is missing important tags, please suggest them in a comment?