We are getting closer to the end!
Welcome to the fourth of five mapping challenges as part of The Hammer cup 2016.
TrapVille AKA AdmiralAckbarVille
For this challenge we would like you to create a map that contains at least one trap. It could be one huge or complicated trap or multiple smaller simpler ones.
The player could be the one setting the traps or the one avoiding them. Or the one caught in them.
The winning map will be the one that creates the most interesting situation involving traps, that is fun to play and looks polished.
We are big fans of Rube Goldberg machines, and would love to see clever, overelaborate traps – but we realize the short timeframe, so please don’t get so carried away with the trap design that you don’t have time for testing and polishing the rest of your map.
Here are some ideas to get your creative juices flowing:
“After fairly light resistance, the town square feels a little too empty. This was too easy. Not committing too far forward, you investigate further. It’s clearly a trap. You retrace your steps but quickly find the trap was not the town square after all…”
“The Combine attack is just too strong. Time for a retreat into the mines. You are sure there is a way out and the only way to stop them following you is to blow the entrance. Oh dear, maybe that wasn’t such a good idea – it looks like someone may have been waiting for you down here…”
“Between you and the survivors is the abandoned village, but it’s almost as bad as Ravenholm. There’s talk of the ‘residents’ becoming creative to capture more escapees. Could it be true? Only one way to find out…”
As always, if you have any questions either ask in the comments or if you require a private answer send Phillip an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 30th May 2016 11pm GMT
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
It seems that the BetaTestersCollective website is currently down.
Feel free to ask RTSL for help.
- Maximum two maps per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the TrapVille mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_thc16c4.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
Steam or Origin games will be awarded to the Winner, Runner Up and third place.
Points will be awarded for each mapping challenge in The Hammer Cup.
All entries will receive 12 points.
First place receives an additional 36 points, second place receives an additional 24 points and third place receives an additional 12 points.
Bonus points can be awarded to all entries.
Bonus: 0,3,6 or 9 in the following categories:
Design (layout, foreshadowing, secret areas, concept etc)
Visuals (lighting, textures, etc)
Sound (ambient sounds, voice acting, special effects etc)
Gameplay (flow, exploration, 3 dimensions etc)
Misc (g-man sightings, humour, seriousness, scares etc)
Check The Hammer cup 2016 for full details of the event, including the prizes etc.