Hello and welcome to the first challenge for The Hammer Cup 2017.
Below are the details.
PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY.
As always, if you have any questions, you can either post a comment or if you require a private reply, send Phillip an email: email@example.com
We would like you to create a map in which the player has to defend a location from attack.
The player should be given a maximum of 5 minutes preparation time but MUST also have the option of triggering the attack manually (for example, with a button or some other clearly marked method).
We want you to create a map that allows for replayability by including a variety of defenses. Ideally, the map would allow for players to use a variety of defensive tactics on replays.
We DO NOT want you to simply create a rebel base and have a lot of Combine soldiers rush it. Maybe the Combine are attempting to destroy (or steal) something vital to the rebels and you have to specifically defend that.
Consider attack waves, with a slight rest between them for the player to regroup.
This challenge is not restricted to a Combine-only attack, so perhaps mix in other HL2 enemies if you like.
The player could be a Combine soldier instead (we will assume that the Combine have stolen an HEV). The location could be moving – maybe defend an APC that is carrying a rebel prisoner.
You should try to create something that will surprise the judges (and players!), is fun to play at least twice, and hopefully looks great and is polished.
We encourage you to look at the more successful maps in the original DefendVille for ideas or inspiration – but create your own ideas on the theme (and keep in mind DefendVille was slightly more restrictive than this challenge).
The original DefendVille had a 10 minute preparation time – this challenge has a maximum of 5 minutes plus the requirement to have a manual start.
The name “Outpost XYZ” was required for the first DefendVille, but NOT this one. You can name your map anything you like.
The Combine were supposed to attack a rebel outpost, hence the previous point. For this challenge, ANY enemy can attack ANY location.
Lastly, a radio message was supplied for the first DefendVille to introduce the theme in each map, it is NOT required this time. You can introduce the situation in any way you like.
The Hammer Cup 2017 consists of five mapping challenges, each with a different theme.
Entrants will receive points for each challenge they enter.
At the end of the event, the best 3 points totals from the challenges they entered will be added together for each entrant.
These totals will decide who wins the Grand Prizes.
This means that entrants do NOT have to enter each and every contest to win the grand prize but they will need to have entered at least 3 challenges to have a chance of winning the grand prizes.
Full details can currently be found here: The Hammer Cup Overview.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 6th February at 11am GMT
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
We highly recommend getting your map beta tested by somebody you trust. Do this early in its development if you can.
A random Steam or ORIGIN game will be awarded to the winner.
Each entry will be judged on Design, Sound, Visuals and Gameplay.
The judges are looking for interesting, surprising and clever interpretations of the theme as well as the replayability of the map.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the RTSL-THC2017: DefendVilleTwo Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_thc17_c1.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email without 24 hours of sending an entry, contact Phillip IMMEDIATELY.
The judges are hoping that this theme provides something for modders to focus on, but still leaves them plenty of scope for creativity.
If you have ANY questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in the comments or by email if you prefer a private answer.