And so it begins…
Welcome to the very first mapping challenge as part of The Hammer cup 2016.
The main element of the map must be a chasm. Canyon, gorge, abyss, rift – whatever you want to call it, but it must be the key feature of the map.
This chasm can be inside or outside. Think the perilous pits in Black Mesa, the insane heights inside the Citadel, and the dark antlion caverns.
These are just Half-Life examples to get your brain started! Put a new spin on one of these, or come up with your own thrilling chasm!
The player is not required to cross it but it must form the main gameplay element of the map.
Bridges CAN be used but are NOT compulsory and they can be anything from huge solid metal bridges to loose, wonky wooden ones.
There CAN be puzzle elements involved in crossing the chasm or just combat.
The player could work their way to the bottom and up the other side or fly across!
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 25th January 2016 11pm GMT
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
I highly recommend The Beta Testers Collective.
Of course, you can get anybody you want to test your maps, but the BTC are very good at it and provide excellent feedback.
- Maximum two maps per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the ChasmVilleTwo.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_thc16c1.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: [email protected] no later than the deadline.
Steam games will be awarded to the Winner and Runner Up.
Points will be awarded for The Hammer Cup. The details below are subject to change if all three judges agree.
Places: 36 points for first, 24 for second, 12 for third and 8 points for the rest.
Bonus: 0,3,6 or 9 in the following categories:
Design (layout, foreshadowing, secret areas, concept etc)
Visuals (lighting, textures, etc)
Sound (ambient sounds, voice acting, special effects etc)
Gameplay (flow, exploration, 3 dimensions etc)
Misc (g-man sightings, humour, seriousness, scares etc)
Check The Hammer cup 2016 for full details of the event, including the prizes etc.