CSS SCI FI 3: Hardwired is a single-player modification for Half-Life 2. Waking up to find himself an augmented clone of Gordon Freeman, the player must fight time-travelling Combine forces and other enemies across 42 unique and re-playable missions.
Missions are set in 18 retail and 24 custom Counter-Strike: Source maps, which are installed intact to the player’s CS:S game folder. The mod edits the entity data for each map as it is loaded, adding and modifying entities to create a seamless single-player experience. The maps remain unchanged and are fully playable in Counter-Strike: Source. Maps have been contributed by established designers, including Bluestrike, Schuzak and d00ds.com. Combat locations range from a snow-covered country church to a dense pine forest to a sun-baked tropical island.
Players enter each map through the mission hub and can choose to play each one at a time or all in 3 linked campaigns. Each mission features a series of goals, such as to rescue hostages or destroy targets, which must be completed to move on to the next map or return to the hub. There are multiple approaches to each goal, and in each map the behaviour and armament of enemies and the distribution of resources are randomly determined within defined parameters. Thus, no two plays are the same, making CSS SCI FI a truly re-playable single-player experience.
- Requires Source SDK Base and Counter-Strike:Source.
- Retains look and feel of Half-Life 2 while adding new weapons, enemies and abilities.
- Includes a custom mission hub, weapon test range and full configuration utility.
- Includes 24 custom maps for Counter-Strike:Source.
- Features 42 replayable non-linear missions, each with multiple goals and hidden secret weapons.
- Support for 64 bit systems and non-standard Steam locations.
- Now runs on the Source SDK Base, meaning that only Counter-Strike: Source is required.
- UAC support for Windows Vista and 7.
- Streamlined configuration utility.
- Updates to the translations .csv (get this version if working on a translation).
- Faster loading times and minor bug fixes
CSS SCI FI is packaged in an executable installer. This installer does not write to the registry or make any changes to any installed programs. When executed, the installer performs the following tasks:
- Ensures that Steam and CS:S are installed.
- Locates the user’s SourceMods directory, creates a new directory for CSS SCI FI, and installs the mod resources within it.
- Locates the user’s cstrike/maps folder and installs 24 custom Counter-Strike: Source maps within it.
- Sets up script files within CSS SCI FI to link the mod to the user’s cstrike/maps folder.
- Places a shortcut to the mod launcher on the desktop
- Executes the CSS SCI FI Configuration Utility (see below for more details).
The process is safe and causes no other changes to the host system.
The Mod MUST be installed with the executable. Mod’s Author – “There’s a lot more to the installer than copying files.”
The CSS SCI FI Configuration Utility is included in the mod installation. This program allows users to select and install 48 different game options, each of which may affect the difficulty, graphics, enhancements or gameplay of CSS SCI FI. These options are independent of Half-Life 2”s standard in-game graphics and difficulty settings, and can be selected in any desired combination. After the Configuration Utility has been run, you do not need to run it again until you want to change a setting.
The Configuration Utility can be run at any time that the game itself is not running, and can be accessed using the launcher from the desktop or from the mod directory located at SourceMods/CSS SCI FI. For more about the CSS SCI FI Configuration Utility, please see the CSS SCI FI Configuration Reference Manual.
There are three different ways to run CSS SCI FI 3:
- From Steam: CSS SCI FI will appear in the Steam games window as “CSS SCI FI 3: Hardwired”. The game can be started from this window as normal.
- From the Configuration Utility: When running the CSS SCI FI Configuration Utility, check the tickbox on the last page to “Start CSS SCI FI”. The game will start after the utility closes.
- From the desktop: Double click the “CSS SCI FI HARDWIRED” shortcut on the desktop. Tick the option in the launcher to “Launch CSS SCI FI” and click “Go!”. The game will start after the launcher closes.
CSS SCI FI 3 can be removed using the included uninstaller. This is located in the mod directory (SourceMods/CSS SCI FI) and is named uninstall.exe. Executing this program will remove all installed and auto-generated resources, and will optionally remove saved games and screenshots. Users may also optionally choose to remove the 24 custom Counter-Strike: Source maps included in the original installation. After uninstallation is complete, users may need to manually delete the CSS SCI FI folder from the SourceMods directory if it is not removed automatically. It is recommended that users exit Steam before running the uninstaller.
- Title: CSS SCI FI 3: HARDWIRED
- File Name: CSS_SCI_FI_3_02_final.exe
- Size : 321.94MB
- Author: Fitzroy_doll
- Date Released: 09 October 2009
All Versions: This patch fixes the crash after Compound caused by fatal incompatibilities in the following retail maps: DE_Dust, DE_Dust2 and DE_Inferno. This patch is required for all versions, including 3.02 complete. Run the executable installer and specify the path to the main CSS mod folder.
Version 3.0 – 3.01: If you already have version 3.0 or 3.01 this small 1.4MB patch will update it to V3.02 without having to download the 322MB V3.02 full installer. Run the executable installer and specify the path to the main CSS mod folder.
This patch fixes two reported errors in missions for CSS SCI FI 3: Hardwired. These include Cobble (fixed crash when attacking APCs during bullet-time) and Aztec (fixed rare bug which prevented the mission from completing).
If you are having problems, or want more detailed information about the mod or its various patches (and any recent updates) it”s well worth visiting the Author”s CSS SciFi homepage which is both clear and concise.
WARNING: The screenshots contain spoilers.
Click on the thumbnails below to open a 800 pixel wide image.
Each images comes from a different mission and one is from the Mission Hub (image 13).
Please note: These statistics are valid from December 2010
9Last 7 days
59Last 30 days
If you believe this release is missing important tags, please suggest them in a comment?