We have become very accustomed to playing maps and mods on one level.
That’s not to say that some maps don’t include more Z-axis gameplay, but in general it’s something that could be used to more and better effect.
This mapping challenge is all about (the bass – no, sorry) having the player move up and down in a realistic way.
Of course, that doesn’t mean they can ONLY move up and down, but the idea of vertical gameplay or movement should be the central theme of each entry.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 28th September at 10pm GMT (that’s the night)
That’s 18 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
I highly recommend The Beta Testers Collective. Although, they are technically on a break, they still might be able to help.
Of course, you can get anybody you want to test your maps, but the BTC are very good at it and provide excellent feedback.
This mapping challenge is sponsored by NodeCraft – We are NodeCraft. We make running game servers, simple.
Please check them out for your game server needs. They host the site and it has never been faster.
I will be giving away various Steam and ORIGIN games. A final decision will be made after the deadline, although there will be at least a few $5/10 games available.
The winner will be chosen by a readers’ vote lasting 2 weeks after the release of the mod OR by Phillip depending on the number and qaulity of entries.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the VerticalVilleTwo Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_vvt.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline.
It would be a good idea to play the original VerticalVille if you can.
If you have ANY questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in the comments or by email if you prefer a private answer.