Hello and welcome to the second challenge for The Hammer Cup 2017.
Below are the details.
PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY.
As always, if you have any questions, you can either post a comment or if you require a private reply, send Phillip an email: [email protected]
When the Combine took over Earth, environmental issues were ignored, we think it’s fair to say. Half-Life wouldn’t be Half-Life without a good dose of corrosive, radioactive goo for zombies to splash around in.
We want you to create the most fiendishly hazardous, nasty environments you can and create some ingenious methods for the player to fight or puzzle their way across that space.
Toxic areas are all about restricting parts of the level that the player can use as they solve the puzzles and fight their way out.
Antlions, Combine, Zombies plus any other enemy, NPCs, etc. can all be thrown into the mix for this one but please make sure the radioactive goo plays a key part in the level design.
Over the years we’ve seen lots of different spaces where toxic goo appears. Poisoned lakes, abandoned factories, waste ground or even in the city itself.
Your entry map can be inside, outside or a mix of both. DO NOT limit yourself to the same situations that the games used toxic goo for. Create something new!
Update: we are specifically talking about the classic yellow/green toxic goo found in HL2 and the Episodes. That toxic sludge should feature in your map – but how you use it is totally up to you. We’re hoping for new and interesting twists – be creative!
The Hammer Cup 2017 consists of five mapping challenges, each with a different theme.
Entrants will receive points for each challenge they enter.
At the end of the event, the best 3 points totals from the challenges they entered will be added together for each entrant.
These totals will decide who wins the Grand Prizes.
This means that entrants do NOT have to enter each and every contest to win the grand prize but they will need to have entered at least 3 challenges to have a chance of winning the grand prizes.
Full details can currently be found here: The Hammer Cup Overview.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 10th April at 11PM GMT
Note, that’s an extra 12 hours than normal. It is 11 AT NIGHT AT LONDON UK TIME.
Make sure you check your local time conversion.
IF YOUR ENTRY IS LATE IT WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE MOD BUT WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY POINTS.
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
We highly recommend getting your map beta tested by somebody you trust. Do this early in its development if you can.
A random Steam or ORIGIN game will be awarded to the winner.
Each entry will be judged on Design, Sound, Visuals and Gameplay.
The judges are looking for cool and fun uses of the toxic goo.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the RTSL-THC2017: ToxicVille Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_thc17_c2.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: [email protected] no later than the deadline.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email without 24 hours of sending an entry, contact Phillip IMMEDIATELY.
The judges feel that by using the toxic goo as the main element of the map, modders can create maps with negative areas that limit and challenge the player.
If you have ANY questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in the comments or by email if you prefer a private answer.