For this Experimental Mapping Challenge, entrants had to make a map no larger than 1,000,000,000 Hammer Units. In the real world, that would be a cube about 20 metres long, wide and high.
The actual proportions of the map were left to the mappers. The limit was the cubic capacity.
This limitation forces mappers to think about how well they use the space.
The mod contains 13 official entries and 3 bonus entries.
- Title: The 1 Billion Units EMC
- Filename: sdk-2013-sp-emc18-1-billion-units.7z
- Size : 94.9MB
- Author: Seji-evan, HQDefault, Ian Spadin AKA Idolon, Matt71490 AKA Event Horizon, Mista Heita, Nick AKA supernocho, krassell, Pedro Marques AKA Dalannar, 1upD, Niker107, Maarten Frooninckx AKA marnamai, Matt the Czar, Malavek, Nikodem Nowak AKA WALLe PL, Tomasz Nowak AKA HiP0L, Justin Kelly AKA Breezeep, Confused_Travolta
- Date Released: 11 February 2018
THIS UPDATED VERSION CURRENTLY CAN NOT BE USED WITH GAUGE. SORRY
- Make sure you have the “Upcoming” branch of the Source SDK Base 2013 Singleplayer installed in Steam and run at least once. (Properties – Betas – select “upcoming” from the dropdown list).
- Copy the “sdk-2013-sp-emc18-1-billion-units” folder into your “SourceMods” folder.
- Restart or start Steam.
- RTSL.EMC18.1-BILLION-UNITS should now be listed in your “Library” tab.
If you decide to use the Per-Map Opinion Images, please either watch the video below or use the file below:
The 1 Billion Units EMC.
Mappers are allowed to enter a map with a maximum cubic unit capacity of 1,000,000,000 Units. That is more or less 1024x1024x1024 or 20 metres x 20 metres x 20 metres in the real world.
The X,Y and Z dimensions can be anything the mappers’ want but the maximum total cubic size must not exceed 1,000,000,000 Hammer units.
The map must only have one area – not split into various parts.
This is the maximum volume of the map, NOT the area the player can reach.
VMF files MUST be submitted with each entry for easy verification. Within that space, the mapper can do anything they want.
The maps will be judges on clever, efficient and inventive use of the space.
No extra credit will be given for submitting smaller maps, but we may be secretly impressed.
Full details can be found on the The 1 Billion Units EMC announcement page.
The deadline for submitting maps was:
11am GMT Monday 29th January 2018
CET is Central European Time. Phillip’s Time.
Liftout by Pedro Marques AKA Dalannar
hard yard by Mista Heita
Lost by 1upD
Micro Adventure by krassell
Arcade by Ian Spadin AKA Idolon
Aluminum by HQDefault
Think Inside The box by Nikodem Nowak AKA WALLe PL and Tomasz Nowak AKA HiP0L
Infested Mines by Nick AKA supernocho
Zardoz by Confused_Travolta
Tenement 17 by Matt the Czar
Claustrophobia by Matt71490 AKA Event Horizon
Alternative Route by Seji-evan
The Hole by Malavek
Shafted by Justin Kelly AKA Breezeep
Pipes by Niker107
Rush Hour by Maarten Frooninckx AKA marnamai
This will be announced on the site in due course
Time for you to share your thoughts! Vote for your top 3 1 Billion Units maps. Poll closes February 25th.
The bonus maps have not been included in this poll.
Which are your 3 favourite 1 Billion Units EMC maps
- Zardoz by Confused_Travolta (9%, 9 Votes)
- Think Inside The box by Nikodem Nowak AKA WALLe PL and Tomasz Nowak AKA HiP0L (17%, 17 Votes)
- The Hole by Malavek (1%, 1 Votes)
- Tenement 17 by Matt the Czar (1%, 1 Votes)
- Lost by 1upD (1%, 1 Votes)
- Liftout by Pedro Marques AKA Dalannar (9%, 9 Votes)
- Micro Adventure by krassell (9%, 9 Votes)
- Infested Mines by Nick AKA supernocho (10%, 10 Votes)
- hard yard by Mista Heita (12%, 12 Votes)
- Claustrophobia by Matt71490 AKA Event Horizon (3%, 3 Votes)
- Arcade by Ian Spadin AKA Idolon (12%, 12 Votes)
- Aluminum by HQDefault (4%, 4 Votes)
- Alternative Route by Seji-evan (13%, 13 Votes)
Total Voters: 45
Experimental Mapping Challenges, also known as EMCs, are short challenges, normally 50 or 72 hours long, with a theme that severely restricts and limits what mappers can do. The themes are chosen to allow a wide range of artistic interpretation. In addition, they allow mappers to take risks and try things that in normal maps they might avoid.
For more details visit the Experimental Mapping Challenges homepage.
Dev1 – Developers’ Version. First versions of maps.
Dev2 – Second developers’ version, included updated maps and a few new files.
1.0 – THIS RELEASE: First public version. No known issues.
The RunThinkShootLive.Com introduction video was made by Jeff Muñoz (ThatoneJeff)” and he also significantly helped with logo design – thanks Jeff, you ROCK!
The menu music is Brane Scan by Kelly Bailey from Half-Life 2
There are four custom gridview images for this release.
To use them, switch your Steam Library view to Gridview. Right click on RTSL.EMC18.1-BILLION-UNITS and chose “Set Custom Image”. Click “browse” when a small windows appears and navigate to your SourceMods folder and the “sdk-2013-sp-emc18-1-billion-units/steam-gridview-images/” folder and select the image of your choice.
You can of course, create your own image and use that.
Maximum two maps per mapper per competition.
The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com & RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the Ville Mod.
Maps must not appear before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2 and Lost Coast are allowed.
Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
The map MUST have a proper name.
The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_ABC.bsp (ABC is replaced with the code for the mapping challenge)
All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
This challenge was not sponsored. If you are an individual or company and interested in sponsoring a challenge, please contact Phillip (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss the options.
Screenshots coming once I have played the mod.
20Last 7 days
73Last 30 days
If you believe this release is missing important tags, please suggest them in a comment?