Station 60 was one of the last Resistance station created. As such it is slightly bigger and better hidden than most other stations.
Its exact location is a very closely guarded secret and even the personnel are taken their blindfolded and with a very circuitous route.
Even its purpose and objective is know to only a few high-ranking resistance leaders.
I want mappers to create a resistance station.
The exact gameplay objective will be the decision of the mapper. It could be simply finding the station while being chased by the Combine, defending the base from attack or you could even play AS the Combine and attack the station.
The station must be the central theme of the map and the player should be able to explore its various parts.
With regard to its location, that’s entirely up to the mapper. It could be partly underground and partly above, it could be a series of town houses connected via tunnels or a dam. The choice is the mappers’.
Ideally, there would be some hard to reach sections of the station that require the player to explore.
The player should feel that this base has been around for a while, but also it should be clear that the rebels have made the best of a bad situation and not built something from scratch. Don’t make this a newly built fortification – make it a re-purposed area/building/location.
Of course, feel free to be inspired from anywhere!
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 3rd August at 12pm GMT
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
I highly recommend The Beta Testers Collective.
Of course, you can get anybody you want to test your maps, but the BTC are very good at it and provide excellent feedback.
I will be giving away various Steam and ORIGIN games. A final decision will be made after the deadline, although there will be at least 3 $5/10 games available.
The winner will be chosen by a readers vote lasting 2 weeks after the release of the mod.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the Station60Ville Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_s60v.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
There is no bonus map for this challenge.
I’m hoping that this theme provides something for modders to focus on, but still leaves them plenty of scope for creativity.
If you have ANY questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in the comments or by email if you prefer a private answer.
I’ve been made aware that Jason Gimba has written a short tutorial on “Making Func_Dustcloud Not Suck“. I will be incorporating the mod update into Stastion60Ville, so you won’t need to do it for your maps. Thanks to Jason for writing the tutorial and ESToomere for telling me about it.