I have to admit I was planning on AntlionVille but by the time I had finished Antlions Everywhere I was sick to death of the freaking things. I am sure there will be an AntlionsVille in the future but not this time.
There were some really great theme/challenge suggestions made by people and, again, some are sure to happen in the future, but the one that really caught my eye was CrossoverVille. I am going to open it up to a wider range of games though.
Hope it inspires you!
I want you to make a map that crosses over between a Half-Life game and another game. Now, when I say crosses over, I mean uses something from that other game. It could be a location, a story element, a gameplay style – almost anything.
The map should start with a black screen, onto which appears the map’s name. Ideally, the end should fade to black with the name of the game it uses as inspiration appearing in text.
In addition, I would like some subtle G-man sightings and/or at least one secret area.
The crossover could be between the Half-Life games themselves or other games.
I DO NOT expect mappers to use new textures or models etc. I fully understand this is not fair within the time frame. In fact, NO assets from other games are allowed unless legal.
The winning map will be the one that uses a clever crossover but is also well-made and fun to play.
As always, you can post your questions and doubts as comments or if you prefer a private reply send an email.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 14th December 10pm GMT
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
I highly recommend The Beta Testers Collective, but they are resting an may not be able to work within the time frame.
Of course, you can get anybody you want to test your maps, but the BTC are very good at it and provide excellent feedback.
This time the first prize won’t be games, but a set of three HL/Portal inspired prints. The winner will have to buy the frames, but I think it’s a better prize than just a game.
There might be second and third place prizes depending on the number of entries.
I, along with an anonymous judge, will choose the winner and announce it a week after the mod’s release.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the CrossoverVille Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_cov.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
There is no bonus map for this challenge.
Get the basic concept working before polishing the visuals. Make sure it is fun to play.