The Combine have been draining the Earth’s oceans.
Control, storage and filtration of water have become increasing valuable comodities.
If the Combine are not defeated soon, there won’t be anything left saving!
I want mappers to create a map that uses water as its focus.
That DOES NOT mean I expect huge coastal areas that the player simply drives past – I fully understand the amount of work that goes into creating those things and how quickly the player speeds past them.
I don’t want to limit your ideas but think about dams, underground storage facilities, Resistance-run filtration palnts. Perhaps the player has to drain an area for the Resistance or the opposite, flood somewhere.
A very simply canal could be used for the player to reach an area or how about an almost completely underwater map where the player has to find air pockets to reach the surface?
The player doesn’t necessarily have to DO anything with the water, although that would be preferable to not.
The link in the overview above could be a start but there must be plenty of places to look for water-related inspiration. In fact here are two from my Real Themes section of my blog: Three Gorges Dam and Metropolitan Area Outer Underground Discharge Channel.
Of course, feel free to be inspired from anywhere!
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 31st August at 12pm GMT
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
I highly recommend The Beta Testers Collective. Although, they are quite busy at the moment with Real Life things, so take that into account.
Of course, you can get anybody you want to test your maps, but the BTC are very good at it and provide excellent feedback.
I will be giving away various Steam and ORIGIN games. A final decision will be made after the deadline, although there will be at least afew $5/10 games available.
The winner will be chosen by a readers vote lasting 2 weeks after the release of the mod.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the WaterVille Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_wv.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: [email protected] no later than the deadline.
There is no bonus map for this challenge.
I’m hoping that this theme provides something for modders to focus on, but still leaves them plenty of scope for creativity.
If you have ANY questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in the comments or by email if you prefer a private answer.