Well, this is unexpected, ay?
I got an email from somebody about mapping challenges and was a little brusque in my reply and then a couple of days ago somebody else asked about another HalloweenVille Mapping Challenge. I said “NO!”, but then I was thinking it’s not too hard to run a challenge.
I am sure you would have liked more notice, but I’ll understand if you are all busy.
I want modders to create a map that scares players. Simple jumpscares will not do. Atmosphere and build-up are what is needed, along with a suitable setting.
There MUST still be combat and/or puzzle solving. Simply making a scary scene is not acceptable for this challenge.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 31st October 10pm GMT
That’s 20 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
Please get somebody to test the map before submitting.
I’m not sure yet if there will be prizes.
The winner will be chosen by a readers vote lasting 10 days after the release of the mod.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the HalloweenVille Three Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_hvt.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: [email protected] no later than the deadline.
Get the basic concept working before polishing the visuals. Being almost totally dark is not the only way to make things scary.
I will do my best to release the mod on the weekend after the Monday deadline.