And so it continues.
This is the second of the 3×24 Mapping Competition Series.
It is prosaically called MiddleVille.
Full details are below.
This is the second part of a mapping competition series of 3 events, each lasting 24 days – that’s 4 complete weekends.
Each competition will have a detailed theme and have the possibility of each entrant continuing on from their previous entry or just submitting a stand alone entry.
There will be approximately 8 weeks’ break between each competition. The exact dates and times are below:
Competition 1: 11:00pm GMT Fri 11th January – 11:00pm GMT Sunday 3rd February
Competition 2: 11:00pm GMT Fri 12th April – 11:00pm GMT Sunday 5th May
Competition 3: 11:00pm GMT Fri 28th June – 11:00pm GMT Sunday 21st July
If a mapper enters all 3 competitions then they will have the opportunity to polish all three entries and release as an updated mod.
The objective is to provide mappers with a global framework for a proper mod, with a beginning, a middle and an end.
Once the second competition has been announced, mappers will be allowed to make small modifications to the end of their last entry, but nothing too significant. Larger changes will be allowed if they enter all 3 competitions.
As with the 6×10 Series, I won’t be announcing the themes until the start day of each competition so mappers won’t be able to continue working on their maps.
To ensure that entrants don’t simple continue working on their mod, there will be some thematic elements that will provide additional design decisions. This will make it difficult for them to simply create something and then try to “fit” it to the announced theme.
The map must start with the player underground but about to climb a ladder to reach ground level via a drain cover. If an entrant is continuing from a previous entry, they just need to start from the same area the previous one finished. Invisible walls will NOT be penalized.
New entrants can start from a fresh area and, again, invisible walls will NOT be penalized.
BeginningVille was all about getting the player to where something needed doing. Well, now the player is there, it’s time to actually DO IT!.
This is the main section and and where the player performs the main objective of the mod. This map can be located anywhere; City 17, a port, a village, a coastal facility. It can be day or night mostly indoors or outdoors, the choice is the mappers’.
The player must perform some critical function: destroy or start a machine, open or close some complicated valve system, destroy some facility, free some prisoners etc.
As mentioned above, in order to stop people creating their map “out of competition” time, the map must also include the following features:
1. The number 3 must be a concept of the design. Perhaps it’s 3 valves or 3 buildings the play must visit. The idea is that there must be 3 interactive elements of the map.
2. At least one end dead in the layout or path must be included. Of course, the player must be able to retrace their steps and still continue.
3. At some point, the player must have their path back to the beginning of the map blocked, forcing them forward.
4. There must be a least one secret area, either visibly obvious but difficult to reach or hidden in some way.
5. There must be at least two waves of enemy, with the second coming after a short break. Their arrival must be announced in some way.
The map should end with the player “escaping” or being forced into a place that seems like a natural break. If you plan on submitting an entry for the final competition, just make it easy to switch maps.
The final section of this map will not be considered part of the competition. So, most maps need a great ending, well, this part is just like the ending of BeginningVille; it’s just a transition.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per competition. (Updated from one)
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com the right to release the map as part of the 3×24 Mod.
- Maps must not appear before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_pp_3x24.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
Mappers are encouraged to include freely available assets, including textures, models, sounds and music. This will help the map stand out from other entries. However, the actual experience is much more important than simply including lots of new stuff.
I will announce prizes later.
As always, if you have any doubts or questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.