Throughout the world many millions of children will be writing letters to Santa Claus, listing the present they want, well here is my wish list for gaming in 2007.
Can you guess what they are?
- Top of my list is much better A.I. I want to play games against enemies that are nearly as smart as me (not hard), not ones that have almost infinite health or ammo (which reminds me why do enemies never reload?), or ones where every shot is perfect. I don’t want them to stand there just staring at me, even a dog will run away when you hit it! Maybe we need to have sacred enemies? Ones that run when they see you and only fire if they have cover. At least that wold be more realistic.
- Next comes games that are delivered on time. In fact I would like ALL developers to get together some time in June and set release dates for the following year. One good FPS game per month will be fine. I will pay now and if the game is delayed then I get a refund and a free game.
- Special Edition/Collectors Editions or whatever you want to call them that are actually SPECIAL. Something that you can’t buy anywhere else and is cool.
- A game that has a 30 minute CGI movie as the prologue. Something that builds a story around the characters and not just around guns and locations. See my recent Gamovie post. Of course two teams would be needed but perhaps game developers need to work more with the people how make machinima.
- A game without Cliches. Please, Please please, no more huge boots and huger (new word, before you ask!) rockets. The size of my gun isn’t related to my manhood (No offense intended to female PP readers). No more post-apocalyptic futures. Why not a paradise where everything is perfect? Well, not that perfect or there would be no shooting, but you know what I mean.
- One, just one, new weapon that makes me go “WOW, this is cool!” Yes, I do know how hard that is but with the combined creativity of all the world’s developers (not to mention the millions of dollars invested) is it too much to ask? I don’t think so. In fact, I publicly announce that as part of the new features that will appear on PlanetPhillip I will be having a WEAPON OF YEAR award. It will be for any FPS game, SP or MP. More on this in January 2007.
- A game with no blood. That’s correct, no blood. Blood doesn’t make a game any better.
- A game not from Europe or America. There must be some other cultures capable of making an FPS game? Perhaps it’s a reflection of the gun society? Why not a Manga-inspired game.
- Voice generation software supplied with a game, just like a mapping editor or modelling software. Something that empowers the modder with a way of including new voices in the game. Yes, I know this is unrealistic but when did you ever expect to get EVERYTHING on your Christmas list? Maybe they could at least include lots of phrases or sentences that weren’t used in the game. See Voice Acting for the Masses for a specific idea about game voices.
- Last but not least is Return To Castle Wolfenstein 2. I really enjoyed the first one and hope that this is going to rock! I’m hoping for an August release because then I can play it through the night without having to get up and go to work the next day.
Well, there you have them. I’m sure yours are very different, so let’s hear them.