I’m constantly looking for ways to give games and mods more replayability. The obvious answer would be to have a certain amount of randomness to the location of enemies and health, the way enemies respond etc. But there are also other ways. I’m currently writing a post that discusses this exact point.
It’s main argument is a call for more difference between difficulty settings. By that I mean in the way the game plays, not how accurate the enemy shots are or how much health is available. With this in mind I offer the following ideas as possible options for the HARD difficulty setting.
Perhaps during an extended firefight or in some particularly hot level your playing character begins to sweat. This could manifest itself in a number of interesting ways:
1. The sweat runs from your forehead into your eyes causing them to become blurred and sore. This requires you to wipe the sweat away either as you reload a weapon or automatically. If you don’t wipe the sweat away them your vision becomes seriously blurred.
2. If you are wearing a helmet or mask then the surface becomes condensated meaning you must remove it and clean it. This would only really happen if your helmet became damaged and as such exposes you to danger.
3. Your hands become slippery making holding and firing weapons difficult. Again you must wipe them before continuing.
4. Depending on the type of health system you use, your core temperature rises meaning you use more energy and require recuperation faster. Perhaps you need to find water to alleviate this particular problem.
5. This next one would be VERY game specific. By sweating you would leave a scent trail that could be easily followed by dogs or similar smell sensitive creatures. The only way for you to stop them following you would be to either find an area that masks your smell or walk across a river or other liquid area. The last part should not be explicitly mentioned so that the player has to work it out themselves.