With blood rushing through your veins and your skin crawling, you crouch in a corner with the thought that if you make yourself small and still enough, it may overlook you.
This is petrifying fear, where movement is the last option, because movement draws attention to yourself.
Is it possible to escape from this alive? Only time will tell.
Yes, that’s right. A mapping challenge with no warning! If that doesn’t scary ya, nothing will.
Seriously though, I didn’t want to say I’ll be announcing a mapping challenge in a few days as that would probably have been too obvious.
I want modders to map a map to scare the pants off me, which is not hard, but suggest carefully crafted ideas will be rewarded more than simple jump scares.
There MUST still be combat and/or puzzle solving. Simply making a scary scene is not acceptable for this challenge.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 26th October 10pm GMT
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
I highly recommend The Beta Testers Collective.
Of course, you can get anybody you want to test your maps, but the BTC are very good at it and provide excellent feedback.
I will be giving away various Steam and ORIGIN games. A final decision will be made after the deadline, although there will be at least 3 $5/10 games available.
The winner will be chosen by a readers vote lasting 2 weeks after the release of the mod.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the HalloweenVilleTwo Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_hvt.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
There is no bonus map for this challenge.
Get the basic concept working before polishing the visuals. Being almost totally dark is not the only way to make things scary.
If everybody submits on time, I will release the mod on Saturday 31st October.