For this mapping challenge, I would like you to create a map that is set in a Combine base. The map can start anywhere you like, either just outside a hidden base or just after you enter.
It’s your decision.
Once inside the base, you can have the player do anything you want – destroy or disable certain machinery, rescue a high-ranking Resistance leader or even just escape alive.
As much as I would love high or deep vertical areas, the base doesn’t have to be that way.
I am looking to be impressed by the base as much as I want to have a lot of fun fighting within it.
Ideally, there would be a WOW moment in the map somewhere.
The deadline for submitting entries is:
12pm GMT Monday 15th June 2015
That’s 19 Days – 3 full weekends.
Whilst most Combine architecture is tall, if the base is a re-purposed human area, it doesn’t have to be that way. However, simply using the blue combine textures doesn’t make it a base either.
I highly recommend The Beta Testers Collective.
But since it is holiday time, please make sure you give them plenty of time to test.
Of course, you can get anybody you want to test your maps, but the BTC are very good at it and provide excellent feedback.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE
The prizes for this mapping challenge are for Origin NOT Steam.
There will be three prizes available: Winner, Runner Up and random prize draw for all the other entries.
They have been kindly donated by an anonymous PP/RTSL Supporter and the winner and Runner Up will be selected by a public vote.
The Winner will select their prize first and then the Runner Up will select theirs and finally the random prize draw winner will then select theirs.
They will select from the following games: Dead Space, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Medal of Honor (“new” MoH), Mirror’s Edge, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 and Populous.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per competition.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the CombineBaseVille Mod.
- Maps must not appear before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_cbv.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline.
There is no bonus map for this challenge.
Replay Ep1 for some inspiration.
As always, feel free to post questions here as comments or send an email to me if you want a private answer.