Hello and welcome to the second 50-Hour Mapping Challenge – CromulentVille.
Below are the details.
PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY.
As always, if you have any questions, you can either post a comment or if you require a private reply, send Phillip an email: email@example.com
Your task is to create a perfectly cromulent map.
Is your map silly? Absurd? Weird? Hilarious, crazy, or a complete joke? Great! These are all cromulent maps and they’re exactly what we’re looking for.
Use this opportunity to embiggen your creativity.
If your map leaves players saying, “WTF did I just play?” – perfect!
Make players laugh, make them cry – but make them FEEL something. You have 50 hours!
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Sunday 9th July 2017 at 11:59pm Central European Summer Time
Check you timezone!
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
50-hours doesn’t give you much time but it’s always good to test if you can, especially early in the dev phase.
Wolfenstein The Old Blood will be given to the winner.
I am pleased to announce that for this challenge I will be joined by DolmotheDouglas for judging duties.
We will select the winner as the best map that uses the theme in a creative and fun to play way.
Even though this challenge isn’t part of The Hammer Cup 2017, feel free to use the Official THC2017 Discord Channel on the SMC Discord server: https://discord.gg/XPM8hM8.
Chat about your idea and progress. The judges may visit but DO NOT use it as a way to ask questions about the theme – use this post or Phillip’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maximum one map per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the RTSL-50-Hour MC: CromulentVille Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_50hmc-c2.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email without 24 hours of sending an entry, contact Phillip IMMEDIATELY.
SUBJECT: RTSL-50HMC-MAPNAME (Not filename)
1. RTSL-50HMC-MAPNAME (Not filename)
2. The name you want used for credit. For example Phillip Marlowe AKA PlanetPhillip
3. Link to compressed file (or attach it to the email)
4. Notes you want included in the readme.txt
NOTE: I encourage all users to include a proper readme-mapname.txt file but it is not compulsory.
DO NOT CALL YOUR FILENAME CROMULENTVILLE.ZIP OR SIMILAR. USE YOUR ENTRY’S NAME!
For this challenge, I will allow entrants to submit their own chapter image.
All I need is the image – you do not need to create the VTF, I will do that.
It’s not compulsory but it will be appreciated.
This can be done up to 3 days after the deadline.
1. Image should be 16:9 ratio.
2. JPG or PNG is best.
3. Weapons and HUD MUST be removed.
4. Neither too bright nor too dark.
5. The FOV can be changed. I use between 75 and 90.
6. Visual effects can be added but be sensible.
7. No text must be added.
THINGS TO CONSIDER:
1. The chapter images are small. Some images look great full screen but look meh when small.
2. Don’t spoil the map for the player. I find something near the beginning is better, but not always.
3. Don’t spend hours trying to get it perfect. Often people use it for reference only.
4. But, if you can find the right angle and lighting, a good chapter image can get players excited. Do not neglect the promotion of your work.
4. Funky, weird or strange generally don’t work. Keep it simple.
If you have ANY questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in the comments or by email if you prefer a private answer.