Hello and welcome to the third challenge for The Hammer Cup 2017.
Below are the details.
PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE RULES WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION!
As always, if you have any questions, you can either post a comment or if you require a private reply, send Phillip an email: email@example.com
Given the whopping number of entries (and especially those from first-time entrants!) in ToxicVille, we decided to keep the theme simple and straightforward for this third challenge in the 2017 Hammer Cup: BridgeVille.
The map must feature a bridge, and the player must cross the bridge at some point in the map. The gameplay itself is your choice – as always the map can be action-packed or puzzle-heavy or anything in between.
There are drawbridges, footbridges, natural bridges, energy bridges as in Episode 1, and of course vehicle bridges as seen in the Highway 17 and Freeman Pontifex chapters. Maybe the player has to fix or build the bridge – or maybe even destroy it!
But those are just our suggestions – what else can you think of and build?
The size, type, and location of the bridge is totally up to you. We’re open to pretty much any interpretation of “bridge” as long as it’s featured in the map and crossed by the player.
The Hammer Cup 2017 consists of five mapping challenges, each with a different theme.
Entrants will receive points for each challenge they enter.
At the end of the event, the best 3 points totals from the challenges they entered will be added together for each entrant.
These totals will decide who wins the Grand Prizes.
This means that entrants do NOT have to enter each and every contest to win the grand prize but they will need to have entered at least 3 challenges to have a chance of winning the grand prizes.
Full details can currently be found here: The Hammer Cup Overview.
I HAVE ADDED AN EXTRA 13 Hours to the deadline.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 19th June 2017 at 23:59 CEST
CEST is Central European Summer Time. Phillip’s Time.
Make sure you check your local time conversion.
IF YOUR ENTRY IS LATE IT WILL BE INCLUDED IN THE MOD BUT WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY POINTS.
That’s 19 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
We highly recommend getting your map beta tested by somebody you trust.
Do this early in its development if you can.
A random Steam or ORIGIN game will be awarded to the winner.
I AM SO FAR BEHIND WITH GIVING THE GAMES AWAY – I PROMISE TO CATCH UP SOON!
Each entry will be judged on Design, Sound, Visuals and Gameplay.
The judges are looking for cool and fun interpretations of the “Bridge” concept.
If you are a Discord user and want to chat about the event then please feel free to join the official THC2017 Discord channel over on the Source Modding Community Discord server (Formerly the RTSL Discord Server) and get chatting.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the RTSL-THC2017: BridgeVille Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_thc17_c3.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email without 24 hours of sending an entry, contact Phillip IMMEDIATELY.
SUBJECT: THC2017-c3-MAPNAME (Not filename)
1. THC2017-c3-MAPNAME (Not filename)
2. The name you want used for credit. For example Phillip Marlowe AKA PlanetPhillip
3. Link to compressed file (or attach it to the email)
4. Notes you want included in the readme.txt
NOTE: I encourage all users to include a proper readme-mapname.txt file but it is not compulsory.
For this challenge, I will allow entrants to submit their own chapter image.
All I need is the image – you do not need to create the VTF, I will do that.
It’s not compulsory but it will be appreciated.
This can be done up to 3 days after the deadline.
1. Image should be 16:9 ratio.
2. JPG or PNG is best.
3. Weapons and HUD MUST be removed.
4. Neither too bright nor too dark.
5. The FOV can be changed. I use between 75 and 90.
6. Visual effects can be added but be sensible.
7. No text must be added.
THINGS TO CONSIDER:
1. The chapter images are small. Some images look great full screen but look meh when small.
2. Don’t spoil the map for the player. I find something near the beginning is better, but not always.
3. Don’t spend hours trying to get it perfect. Often people use it for reference only.
4. But, if you can find the right angle and lighting, a good chapter image can get players excited. Do not neglect the promotion of your work.
4. Funky, weird or strange generally don’t work. Keep it simple.
Don’t let the image lead you into thinking we want a “standard” bridge. Use your imagination! I have to use an image and liked this one. It’s from an early version of Downfall (Coming soon to RTSL!) by Marnamai and is taken from an Interloper’s forum post
The judges feel that the idea of a bridge can be used in so many ways. We are not expecting you to build a bridge like Half-Life 2: Highway 17, just create some sort of bridge that allows for interesting gameplay.
If you have ANY questions, please don’t hesitate to ask, either here in the comments or by email if you prefer a private answer.