After posing this question as a poll question a few days ago and getting a fairly positive response, I thought I would take the plunge and try it.
Here I present the guidelines and some technical details for us to discuss, amend, remove or add.
1. Initially it will only apply to mods released from this point forward.
2. Only pre-agreed mods will be able to accept donations via RTSL.
3. RTSL will not take any percentage from the donations unless agreed with by each mod in question.
4. RTSL will not lose any money through forwarding donations – so basically, the modders pay the fee.
5. Donations will be completely optional and the download button for the mod will remain the same and just as visible.
6. A total amount of donations will be visible, but all donations will remain anonymous, unless specifically requested not to be.
Hopefully, a few modders will suggest I keep a small percentage as a thank you for running the system. However, I am thinking that I should request a period of exclusivity. Maybe 2 months? This will mean that even if RTSL doesn’t get any financial benefit, it gets the good mods earlier than other sites. Does that sound fair or am I being too controlling? That said, it would be in the interest of modders to direct people to the mod’s RTSL page as the donation option will be visible.
1. I will create a PitchIn widget for each mod.
2. If enough income is generated for RTSL then I will get Pro membership of PitchIn as this helps support them.
3. Each month I will transfer money from the RTSL PayPal account to each modder, unless otherwise specifically agreed to with the modder.
4. The PitchIn will be indefinite, again, unless otherwise agreed to with the modder.
5. The will not be a minimum donation, although I hope users are sensible.
One other option is to have donations to modders instead of mods. Ultimately, the money would go to the same place, but it might be worth having both options.
Okay, that’s enough from me, over to you. We need to make sure the idea is robust but I am sure things will come up once we start.