Hello and welcome to the fifth and final mapping challenge of The Hammer Cup 2016.
The judges and I have tried to ensure that each challenge was interesting for both the modders AND players. We feel that we have had thought-provoking challenges so far.
For the final challenge, we wanted something as open as possible but still quite defined. We have considered many previous challenges as potential options for this one but no particular one seemed right.
Therefore, we have decided that entrants can select ANY previous mapping competition/challenge from the past EXCEPT the previous 4 used in The Hammer Cup 2016.
Entrants may only select ONE theme for their map.
For those that are new to the site and think the challenges are a new thing, you might be surprised to learn that I have been running them since 2010.
That gives modders the following options:
- SniperVille 2
We highly recommend selecting a short list of no more than 2 or 3 and then carefully reading the exact theme details, as well as playing the entries to see how other modders approached the theme.
Each theme should be clearly explained in the mod post, but if you require clarification and/or have questions, please either post a comment here or if you want a private reply, send an email to Phillip.
Due to the wide range of options, we have decided to extend the deadline by 1 week. It is now Monday 18th July 2016.
In addition, to the 1 extra week, there are also three other obligatory requirements for this challenge.
1. ALL entrants MUST include a readme text file. The file MUST be called the entry’s name. For example, Outbreak-readme.txt. The file MUST include the author’s name and the theme chosen. It can also include any other information and credits etc.
2. Entrants MUST send a image that will be used as the background image, chapter image and Steam gridview image. No HUD or weapons should be visible. Separate images for each use can be sent if the author wishes.
3. Any files sent MUST be named after the entry’s name plus the suffix: “thc16-c5”. For example, “Outbreak-thc16-c5.7z”. Do NOT use something like AnyVilleVille.7z”.
Ideally, a map would end with a fade to black and screen text displaying the map name, author and theme name, but this is not compulsory.
The judges will be looking for a clever and surprising interpretation of the chosen theme. That doesn’t mean we hope for or expect strange entries, just that we have already played maps with that theme so you will have to do something special.
As always, quality over quantity is valued, so plan very carefully and make sure you allocate enough time for external testing.
That’s it. Good luck to all entrants!
As always, if you have any questions either ask in the comments or if you require a private answer send Phillip an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 18th July 2016 11pm GMT
That’s 26 days, with 4 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 3 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
Feel free to ask RTSL for help.
- Maximum two maps per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the AnyVilleVille mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_thc16c5.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: email@example.com no later than the deadline.
Steam or Origin games will be awarded to the Winner, Runner Up and third place.
Points will be awarded for each mapping challenge in The Hammer Cup.
All entries will receive 12 points.
First place receives an additional 36 points, second place receives an additional 24 points and third place receives an additional 12 points.
Bonus points can be awarded to all entries.
Bonus: 0,3,6 or 9 in the following categories:
Design (layout, foreshadowing, secret areas, concept etc)
Visuals (lighting, textures, etc)
Sound (ambient sounds, voice acting, special effects etc)
Gameplay (flow, exploration, 3 dimensions etc)
Misc (g-man sightings, humour, seriousness, scares etc)
Check The Hammer cup 2016 for full details of the event, including the prizes etc.