The chapter details Adrian Shephard’s battle with the monstrous Pit Worm which is blocking his progress through Waste Processing Area 3.
Working his way through the surrounding area (littered with the corpses of the Marines who sent the distress signal in the previous chapter), Shephard manages to dump toxic waste on the Pit Worm, killing it and allowing him to access the next area.
- This chapter mirrors the chapter Blast Pit from the original Half-Life, though it is much smaller.
- The puzzle to kill the Pit Worm involves both a “valve”” and a “gearbox” to be used, which are obvious references to the game’s developers as an Easter egg.
- Another Easter egg are the garbage compactors, especially the flooded one, which are directly designed after the Death Star’s garbage compactor seen in the film Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
- In the first map, a flooded Xen area where one can be brought by the Displacer features two dead scientists. In the second map, another scientist can be found clinging to the edge of an island with another Displacer (that brought him there) still on the island.
- This chapter takes place at the same time as the Half-Life chapter Nihilanth.
- Find Gina.
- What’s rotating the wrong way?
Click on the thumbnails below to open a 1024 pixel wide image.
WARNING: The screenshots contain spoilers.
This post is part of the The Replay Experience Experiment 2012 event. This is a chance to replay all the Half-Life games and discuss them based on our experiences since we first played them.
The trivia text taken from the CombineOverWiki, a fan-supported, editable wiki covering the Half-Life series of games.
On the left is a complete text walkthrough for Half-Life: Opposing Force.
It has been written by Stanley E. Dunigan and updated with all the tricks and tips from PlanetPhillip.Com readers.
It is in PDF format, meaning you can open it directly in modern browsers or download it and print it.
(Left-click to open and right-click to save)
You can purchase Half-Life: Opposing Force directly through Steam and could be playing in within moments, depending on your internet connection.