Even though I am not a very good player, I love challenging but doable sections in mods. I don’t mind replaying sections again and again if I know I can do it. It might not be pretty or fun to watch if I am livestreaming, but I sure as heck enjoy it.
I want modders to create a map that is hard to play. Either through carefully planned combat or because there is some difficult to pass obstacle.
I am not a fan of jumping sections, but as long as they are possible for most players and not just expert jumpers, then that’s fine.
Puzzles can be included if you want but the overall feeling should be one of hard.
Now, this is important, so pay attention. Simply throwing tens of Combine Soldiers or Hunters at players is not what you should be doing. That’s just stupid. The best and most rewarding sections of most mods are the ones players have to really work hard to pass.
Lastly, don’t think that this has to be a BOSS fight. There are plenty of other situations that can be hard too, although if you want to have a boss fight, that’s okay with me.
As always, if you have any doubts or questions, just ask in the comments or send me an email if you want a private reply.
Image in featured images taken from Lone Fire Warrior’s Deviant Art Page.
The deadline for submitting maps is:
Monday 5th December 10pm GMT
That’s 20 days, with 3 full weekends.
DO NOT GET TOO AMBITIOUS. If you can’t build it in 2 weekends then think smaller.
Something is bound to delay your progress. Leave time for testing, bug fixing and polishing!
Please get somebody to test the map before submitting.
I’m not sure yet if there will be prizes.
The winner will be chosen by a readers vote lasting 10 days after the release of the mod.
- Maximum two maps per mapper per entry.
- The map must be original and not have been released publicly before.
- The map must run in system with only Ep2 installed
- By entering the competition you grant PlanetPhillip.Com and RunThinkShootLive.Com the right to release the map as part of the Hard!Ville Mod.
- Maps must not appear on ANY other website before the release and for one month after the release of the mod.
- No assets from retail games other than HL2, HL2: Ep1 or HL2: Ep2 are allowed.
- Other assets are allowed with written permission from their original authors, which MUST be included in the entry.
- Phillip’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The map MUST have a proper name.
- The map MUST have a proper filename: MapName_hardv.bsp
- All entries must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline.
HArd is not the same as 1,000 enemies. Hard means difficult to do, requires concentration and skill.
I will do my best to release the mod on the weekend after the Monday deadline.