This is the second chapter of Half-Life 2. It mostly consists of character interaction, introduction and plot exposition, setting Gordon Freeman’s goal for the next two chapters.
Freeman finds his way to Kleiner’s lab with Alyx’s help but is not thoroughly briefed on what has happened during his stasis. Clues are present throughout the game, and really, it is up to players to fill in the gaps.
What’s certain though is that a powerful alien race known as the Combine were drawn to Earth by Portal Storms initiated by the Resonance Cascade and completely defeated all Human Resistance in a mere seven hours.
Now they have practically enslaved all of humanity, going so far as to set up devices to generate a field that makes reproduction impossible. Dr. Breen is a collaborator who serves the Combine as the puppet ruler of the Earth from the towering Citadel at the heart of City 17, in exchange for a comfortable life.
Kleiner, Barney and Alyx are members of an underground resistance movement dedicated to freeing humanity from the Combine’s grip, and Gordon subsequently becomes a prospect member. It is decided that Gordon and Alyx should be teleported to the laboratory where Alyx’s father, Dr. Eli Vance, is heading the resistance’s scientific research operations.
After meeting Kleiner’s pet headcrab, Lamarr, Gordon receives the Mark V HEV Suit that saved his life so many times during the Black Mesa Incident and Alyx is teleported to Black Mesa East successfully. When trying to teleport Gordon however, Lamarr leaps onto him, causing the machine to malfunction and teleport him to various random places, including a desert, twice at Black Mesa East, the middle of the ocean (where he is almost eaten by an Ichthyosaur), and even Breen’s office in the Citadel.
Finally, ending up outside the lab where he started, Gordon is forced to go on foot to Black Mesa East by himself. Before he leaves, Barney gives him the infamous crowbar Freeman used at Black Mesa, telling him that he needs to travel through the extensive canal system of City 17 to get to Black Mesa East.
- If the player were to cheat and start the game with HEV suit and all weapons, this chapter will not work. Dr Kleiner, Alyx and Barney just stand around waiting forever for Gordon to put on the hazard suit. Also, if the player enters Kleiner’s lab without the HEV suit and takes it from the lab before he is supposed to (using noclip), when Gordon gets into the teleport chamber, Alyx will not come and will ask Gordon to come, instead of her coming.
- If the player kills Lamarr before she jumps up onto the platform, Dr. Kleiner will carry on talking to Lamarr as if she was still there. Also, during the teleport sequence, if the player had any weapon it is actually possible to kill Dr. Breen while he’s speaking to Gordon, leaving the player unable to advance to the other maps.
- It is possible to move during the teleportation sequence, albeit very slowly.
- After Gordon’s teleportation attempt, it is not possible to explore Dr. Breen’s office or the water near the Ichthyosaur using noclip. Any attempt to enter will land the player back outside the lab.
- As soon as Barney has walked away from the CCTV cameras, if the USE key is pressed next to the screen, the G-Man can be seen briefly. However, the player can change the camera while Alyx is there watching it. But it will not have anything to do with her, as she is seen watching normally. This thing can also be done while Barney is watching it, but it will not have any effect, even if Barney seems to be aware of the G-man.
- The player can explore the water map, but he can’t find the Ichtyosaur.
- 01. Break the monitor that’s up on the lab’s storage ledge before Lamarr can.
- 02. Destroy the two scanners that pester you right after the failed teleportation sequence.
Thanks to Stanley E. Dunigan for supplying these challenges.
Click on the thumbnails below to open a 1024 pixel wide image.
WARNING: The screenshots contain spoilers.
This post is part of the The Replay Experience Experiment event. This is a chance to replay all the Half-Life games and discuss them based on our experiences since we first played them.
The intro and trivia text are taken from the CombineOverWiki, a fan-supported, editable wiki covering the Half-Life series of games.
On the left is a complete text walkthrough for Half-Life 2.
It has been written by Stanley E. Dunigan and updated with all the tricks and tips from PlanetPhillip.Com readers.
It is in PDF format, meaning you can open it directly in modern browsers or download it and print it.
(Left-click to open and right-click to save)
You can purchase Half-Life 2 directly through Steam and could be playing in within moments, depending on your internet connection.